Rooibos tea aka Red Bush tea is grown from small shrub in the Cedarberg region near Cape Town, South Africa.
Rooibos leaves are oxidized before they are used to make rooibos tea. This process gives them the familiar reddish-brown color and the slightly sweet taste. However, unoxidized rooibos tea is also available. Oxidation process also affects the flavonoid content of the tea. Unoxidized rooibos tea contains more, about twice as much total flavonoids as oxidized tea.
Taste: Has a natural sweet taste
Color: rich red color
Caffeine Free: Rooibos tea is caffeine free and won’t leave you with the caffeine “blues” or any other possible caffeine side effects.
Health Benefits of Rooibos Tea:
- Rooibos tea is Caffeine free it can therefore be consumed in unrestricted amount and before going to bed. Some people consume 5-6 cups per day.
- Rooibos tea contain aspalathin and nothofagin two powerful antioxidant that protect the body by fighting free radicals.
- Rooibos tea has high mineral content that are important to health. These include; magnesium (for nervous system and muscle function), calcium & manganese (for strong teeth and bones), zinc (for tissue repair and growth) and iron (for build blooding and distribution of oxygen).
- Rooibos tea help protect the heart because it helps minimize cholesterol build up, lower blood pressure and make the arteries strong.
- Rooibos tea is a natural energizer because it help improve circulation.
- Rooibos tea helps relieve stomach problems like cramps, diarrhea, indigestion, it can even help alleviate colic in babies.
- Rooibos tea help in the absorption of iron, unlike most teas that contains tannin that prevent the body from absorbing iron.
- Rooibos tea can make your skin smooth because it contain alpha-hydroxy acid which promote beautiful skin. Almost 70% of acne sufferers in one study reported clearer skin when they applied rooibos tea twice a day for several weeks.
- Rooibos tea is beneficial for people prone to allergy, studies show that Rooibos contain anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce histamine release and the allergic response.
- Rooibos tea can protect against Parkinsons / Alzheimers disease – this diseases occurs when free radicals damage brain cells and nerve tissue. In a study a 24-month old rats that were given rooibos tea for most of their lives had brains similar to young 5-week-old rats.
- Rooibos tea can keep you calm and encourages restful sleep due to its high mineral content.
- Rooibos tea aid in liver tissue regeneration after prolonged intoxication. It also inhibits the development of fatty liver disease.
- Rooibos tea extract may help fight HIV. HIV infection may be suppressed by the daily intake of the alkaline extract of rooibos tea.
- Rooibos tea is beneficial for people prone to kidney stones because it does not contain oxalic acid.
“This post was originally published on May 27, 2014 @ 02:19”