Nux vomica is a homeopathic remedy made from diluted extract of nux vomica seeds. While the nut is very toxic and causes a lot of symptoms that range from vomiting, cramps, and nerve reactions, the homeopathic remedy is completely safe because it is extremely diluted. In homeopathic circles, nux vomica means “no vomit.”
Poison nut tree grows in India, Burma, Thailand, China and Australia.
Nux Vomica is available in different potencies. The potency shows how many times the original substance was diluted and potentized. Common potencies are 6x and 30x. This means that one part of the substance was diluted in nine parts water and repeated 6 or 30 times.
Homeopathic Remedy Dosage Strengths:
- X is the highest strength (1:10 ratio of active ingredients to inactive solution)
- C is the medium strength (1:100 ratio)
- M is the lowest strength (1:1000 ratio)
Guidelines When Taking Homeopathic Remedies:
- Do not eat or drink for 15 minutes before or after taking the medicine.
- Stay away from substances that can counteract its effects.
Available Forms: pill, tinctures, salves, balms, etc
Health Benefits of Nux Vomica:
- Help treat heartburn, ulcers, food poisoning and constipation
- Has detoxifying effect on the liver; it is therefore a good remedy for hangover.
- Has relaxing and calming effect; that is why it helps reduce the effect of stress, like spasms and cramps.
- Effective for hay fever.
- Effective for bladder infection.
- Helpful in lessening nausea associated with chemotherapy.
- Fast relief from gas and indigestion due to overeating.
Recommended Dosage: The right dosage for nux vomica depends on a person’s age, health and several other condition, it is therefore advisable to seek the advice of a homeopathic doctor before taking this treatment.
Where to Buy Nux Vomica? It is available in health food store and some supermarkets and online shop.
Side Effects of Nux Vomica: Taking nux vomica for more than a week, or in high dosage of 30mg or more, can cause severe side effects which includes; anxiety, spasms of jaw, neck and back stiffness, seizures, breathing problems, liver failure and other serious problems.
- Don’t use nux vomica is you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Don’t use nux vomica if you have liver problem.