Mangosteen is a tropical fruit native to areas of Southeast Asia. This fruit has a dark purple/reddish rind when ripe and its edible white flesh has a sweet and citrusy flavor.
Mangosteen is considered as a “superfruits” not only because of its delicious edible flesh, but also because, its deep-red rind called pericarp is highly concentrated with xanthones (one of the most powerful antioxidants found in nature). Researchers say that the darker the peel or rind of a fruit, the higher the antioxidants it contain.
The Mangosteen pericarp (rind) is rather hard; it is typically 4 to 6 centimeters in diameter and about a half-centimeter thick. The rind is colored green when unripe and dark purple when ripe. Depending on its size and ripeness, there may or may not be pits in the segments of the fruit.
Health Benefits of Mangosteen Fruit:
- Mangosteen fruit contain vasorelaxant properties, this helps dilate blood vessels and increased blood.
- Mangosteen is highly effective in boosting weak immune systems.
Health Benefits of Xanthones (concentrated in the Mangosteen Rind):
- Xanthones has beneficial effect on cardiovascular diseases, including atherosclerosis, hypertension, and thrombosis. Studies have shown that Xanthones reduces the oxidation of the LDL (bad cholesterol). If LDL is not oxidized then fibrous plaques do not form.
- Xanthones has anti-inflammatory properties which can help relieve the pain associated with inflammation without resorting to harsh medicines.
- Xanthones helps improve digestion because it is rich in fibers which can help improves regularity and helps to increase the amount of hydrochloric acid (stomach acid) that your body produces.
- Xanthones has antibacterial compounds that can help in the treatment of urinary tract infection, mouth sores and eliminate body odor and bad breath.
- Xanthones helps fight diabetes. Diabetes is characterized by a reduced sensitivity to insulin.
- Xanthones helps increase the production of tryptophan, a precursor for serotonin, which affects our mood and sleep patterns. It also contains niacin, which is a key vitamin for vitality and nutrient absorption.
“This post was originally published on January 8, 2012 @ 23:45”