Jasmine essential oil is extracted from the flowers of Jasmine. It is one of the most important and expensive extracts along with rose, used in perfumery.
Characteristic of Jasmine flower: Jasmine flowers are white in most species, but some species are yellow. Jasmine has a strong but sweet romantic scent.
Extraction of Jasmine Oil: Jasmine blossoms are extremely fragile, should be handpicked (flowers are always picked during the night, while the fragrance is most intense) and then processed quickly and without heat to avoid degradation of the delicate volatile oils.
In fact, jasmine blossoms are so fragile that jasmine is one of the few essential oils still being routinely manufactured by the ancient process of effleurage (Effleurage is a longer process compared to other process of extracting essential oil, it involves the dissolution of the oils in animal fat and its separation using alcohol). It takes an enormous quantity of blossoms to make the concentrated oil — 1,000 pounds of flowers for every one pound of jasmine essential oil.
Characteristic of Jasmine essential oil: Jasmine essential oil has an intense rich, floral fragrance that is warm and exotic. The color of the oil is deep brown with a golden tinge.
How to use Jasmine Oil: Jasmine oil can be diluted in a carrier oil, such as jojoba, or an unscented lotion, about twenty-five drops for every two ounces of oil (six drops if being used as a facial oil) and eight ounces of lotion. It can also be added to bathwater or evaporated and inhaled with an essential oil diffuser. Jasmine essential oil blends well with rose, sandalwood, and all citrus essential oils.
Health Benefits of Jasmine Oil:
- Jasmine oil has anti-depressant property. The aroma of this oil has a pleasing, uplifting effect on mind.
- Jasmine oil has anti-bacterial and anti-fungi properties, when applied on wounds it prevents it from being infected.
- Jasmine oil has aphrodisiac property which helps enhance libido. It also helps cure problems such as premature ejaculation, frigidity, impotency etc.
- Jasmine oil help in fading away scars left by acne, burns and wounds. It can also help prevent stretch mark.
- Jasmine oil when use as massage oil for the breast can help prevent breast tumors or breast cancer.
- Jasmine oil is a very good moisturizer, it will keep your skin smooth and free from cracks.
- Jasmine oil can give relief to muscle cramps.
- Jasmine oil can help relieve menstrual cramps.
- Jasmine oil is considered an effective massage oil that midwives use to strengthen contractions and speed up delivery.
- Jasmine oil benefits both the male and female body systems by regulating hormone balance.
- As with all essential oil Jasmine oil should also be diluted and never be used alone.
- Although Jasmine essential oil should not be used during pregnancy, it can be used during child birth under the supervision of an experienced midwife or other medical professional.
This post was originally published on January 12, 2012 @23:11″