Watermelon is a type of melon; it has a smooth exterior which is usually green in color and a juicy, sweet interior flesh (usually red, but sometimes yellow in color). Watermelon shapes are round, oblong, and square and its weight can range from 5 to 15 pounds.
Health Benefits of Watermelon:
- Good natural diuretic and can help to flush out toxins from the body.
- Consists of around 92% water, so eating watermelon especially during the summer season can help reduce the risk of dehydration.
- Rich in electrolytes sodium and potassium that we lose through sweating.
- Excellent source of lycopene, which can help reduce the risks of prostate cancer and protect the skin from the sun.
- Yellow variety is exceptionally high in citrulline, an amino acid that our bodies use to make another amino acid, arginine, this amino acid can help remove ammonia in the body; it can also help improve sexual function in men with impotence.
- Fat free but helps in energy production; it is therefore a good energy snack for people who engage in sports and for people who wants to lose weight.
- It is rich in beta-carotene that can help protect against macular degeneration.
- The juice is an ideal drink if you are suffering from headache.
- Beneficial to the skin; it is useful in removing blemishes on the skin, and help to maintain collagen production, which promotes firm, youthful skin and healthy body.
Nutrient Content of Watermelon: Per 100 gm.
- Vitamin A: 590 I.U.
- Vitamin B: Thiamine .05 mg.; Riboflavin .05 mg.; Niacin .2 mg.
- Vitamin C: 6 mg.
- Calcium: 7 mg.
- Iron: .2 mg.
- Phosphorus: 12 mg.
- Potassium: 600 mg.
- Fat: .2 gm.
- Carbohydrates: 6.9 gm.
- Protein: .5 gm.
- Calories: 28
Medicinal Uses of Watermelon Seeds: Watermelon seed also has diuretic effect and is also used in expelling tapeworms and roundworms. The watermelon seed tea is prepared by crushing two teaspoons of the dried seeds (black variety are preferred) and steeping them in a cup of boiling water for an hour. Stir and strain. Drink a cup of this tea four times a day.
Watermelon Facial Mask: Watermelon mask can also be use to re-hydrate and exfoliate the skin, leaving it toned and glowing. To do this process ½ cup of watermelon in a blender and apply it to a clean face, leave it for 10 minutes and wash with lukewarm water and gentle soap. Apply moisturizer.
“This post was originally published on December 30, 2011 @ 22:06”