Botanical Name: Glycine max
Soy is the name used to refer to foods derived from soybeans, a type of legume. Soy was named one of the five sacred crops in an ancient Chinese medical book. The soybean has a unique composition offering a good balance of nutrients including high quality protein, fiber and essential fatty acids such as omega-3 and omega-6.
Health Benefits of Soybean:
- Soybean is a great source of protein. The protein in soybean has all the essential amino acids that are adequate for human health.
- Soybean is easily digested and is one of the most nourishing and body building food in the world.
- Soybean has high lecithin, which is excellent for mental fatigue and for diabetes.
- Soybean high fatty acid content is beneficial for healthy and glowing skin; this is the reason why soybean extract is found in many skincare products.
- Soy may help prevent heart disease by reducing bad cholesterol and preventing plaque buildup in the arteries.
- Soy can help increase levels of good bacteria (Bifidobacteria).
- Soy contains isoflavones, plant chemicals that can help prevent hormone related cancers.
- Soy is known as a natural remedy and preventive medicine for menopause-related problems.
Nutrient Content of Soybean: Per 100 gm.
- Vitamin A: 110 I.U.
- Vitamin B: Thiamine 1.07 mg.;
- Niacin: 2.3 mg.
- Vitamin C: Trace
- Calcium: Trace
- Iron: 8.0 mg.
- Phosphorus: 586 mg.
- Potassium: 540 mg.
- Fat: 18.1 gm.
- Carbohydrates: 34.8 gm.
- Protein: 34.0 gm.
- Calories: 331
Different Kinds of Soy Bean Products:
- Soy sauce
- Soy milk. If you have a problem with the lactose in cow’s milk, you can safely drink soy milk without any side effects.
- Edamame is the Japanese name given to the small, green (not quite mature) soybean. Edamame can be boiled, steamed or eaten raw as a snack. It has a taste similar to green peas, edamame can be served as a hot side dish like peas or corn, or used in soups, salads and stir fries.
- Soy Cheese is made from tofu and a good non-dairy alternative.
- Tempeh is a fermented soy product. It is often used as a meat or poultry substitute. It can be marinated, baked, grilled or deep fried.
- Miso is a salty Japanese condiment made from fermented soy and used in soups, sauces, and dressings.
- Soy flour and Soy meal are made from dried soybeans. It contains more moisture than regular flour and is gluten free therefore it does not produce equivalent results as wheat and other flours. Soy flour is more nutritious than grain flours. Defatted soy flour has a similar range of nutrients, but in lesser amounts.
- Soy Nuts are shelled soybeans that have been dried and roasted until crunchy. Soy nuts are lower in fat than other nuts.
- Soy Protein Isolate is soy protein processed from defatted soy powder. The powder is 90% pure protein, very bland and highly digestible. Soy protein isolates are easily added to shakes, smoothies and other recipes to make a creamy texture. Soy protein powders (isolates) are used by people looking for non-animal protein sources.
- Textured Soy Protein is a processed form of soy flour and water, which is used primarily as a meat substitute in ground meat dishes, stews and kebabs. TSP is sold in granules or chunks. These products can be flavored to taste like meat and are economical, low in fat, and cholesterol free.
- Tofu, a cheeselike curd made from dried soybeans that have been ground, filtered and boiled.
Tips when buying Tofu: Tofu comes in a variety of textures and flavors. Firmer types of tofu have more soy protein whereas softer varieties have more water content, and offer less soy protein in equal serving sizes.
“This post was originally published on January 9, 2012 @ 23:23”