Health Benefits Pineapple:
- Contains bromelain, enzyme that helps in digestion of protein. It is therefore beneficial for dyspepsia (chronic digestive disturbance).
- Helps prevent blood clot formation.
- Helps regulate glands; it can therefore help in case of goiter (enlargement of the thyroid gland).
- Fresh pineapple juice is widely used for expelling intestinal worms.
- Helps prevent nausea (includes morning sickness and motion sickness). Take 200ml of pineapple juice with meal when you feel nauseous.
- High in soluble fiber, which may help in controlling high blood cholesterol.
- Has anti-inflammatory property that can help in relieving pain that comes from osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Help increase the effectiveness of some antibiotics.
- High in vitamin C which can help promote collagen production.
- Rich in beta-carotene – studies show that eating three or more servings of pineapple a day may lower your chance of getting age-related macular degeneration.
- Fresh pineapple when consumed on a regularly basis can help give glow to your skin.
Nutrient Content of Pineapple: Per 100 gm.
- Vitamin A: 130 I.U.
- Vitamin B: Thiamine .08 mg.; Riboflavin .02 mg.; Niacin .2 mg.
- Vitamin C: 24 mg.
- Calcium: 16 mg.
- Iron: .3 mg
- Phosphorus: 11 mg.
- Potassium: 150 mg.
- Fat: .2 gm.
- Carbohydrates: 13.7 gm.
- Protein: .4 gm.
- Calories: 52
Culinary Uses of Pineapple: Fresh pineapple is not only added to meat and poultry dishes for its sweet and sour flavor but also because it can help tenderize the tough meat. Canned pineapple is also used in gelatin mold.
- As pineapple is cooked, its texture softens due to the breakdown of cellulose, a type of fiber in its walls.
- Canning does not significantly lower pineapple’s vitamin C; a cup of juice-packed fruit retains all of its vitamin C, while a cup packed in heavy syrup provides about 20 mg. However, canning heats the fruit enough to destroy its bromelain.
How to Buy Pineapple: When buying a pineapple, look for one that exudes a fragrant odor and has bright yellow flesh. Brown patches indicate spoilage. If you are buying the fruit whole, make sure that it seems dense and heavy for its size and the skin is golden orange.
- Bromelain may cause skin irritation or allergic dermatitis in susceptible individuals.
- Pineapple should not be taken by people suffering from protein disorders.
“This post was originally published on January 8, 2012 @22:34”