Onion is being used for centuries not just to add flavor to foods but also for its therapeutic properties.
Onion Family: Onion belongs to the lily family. It is often called the “king of vegetables” because of its pungent taste.
Health Benefits of Onion:
- Helps to increase the HDL cholesterol (beneficial cholesterol) in the blood, especially when they are eaten raw.
- Onion help dissolve blood clots.
- Syrup made from onions juice and honey is an old remedy for cough, this is juice helps loosen phlegm and prevent its further formation,
- Onion juice dripped on cotton wool and put into the ear is a popular Russian remedy for ringing sound in the ears and earache.
- Rich in sulfur which is valuable for the hair, and nails.
- Onion juice is an excellent remedy for epilepsy.
- Help reduce elevated blood sugar-levels.
- Known for its diuretic properties.
- Onion juice therapy is by far the most effective and inexpensive treatment for fighting cancer.
- Helpful in protecting against bacterial, fungal, worm infections and infections of the urinary tract, such as cystitis.
- Help reduce macular degeneration, an ailment that can cause blindness among older people.
Nutrient Content of Onion: Per 100 gm.
- Vitamin A: 50 I.U.
- Vitamin C: 9 mg.
- Calcium: 32 mg.
- Phosphorus: 44 mg.
- Potassium: 300 mg.
- Carbohydrates: 10.3 gm.
- Protein: 1.4 mg.
- Calories: 45
Health Benefits Spring Onion: The green tops are a good source of vitamin C and beta carotene.
Benefits of Onion to Skin:
- Some people mixed vinegar with onion juice and apply it in their freckles, it is believed that it can remove/reduce this skin problems.
- Regular application of onion juice can help remove warts.
Types of Onions:
- Spring onion has a mild flavor and whose green tops and bulbs are eaten.
- Globe onion has a more pungent flavor that is ideal for cooking, because they become milder and sweeter upon heating.
How to Buy Onion: Choose firm, small, necked onions with crisp outer skins. Avoid those which are already sprouting or have signs of decay, wilting or discolored tops. They should have a mild odor.
How to Store Onion: Globe onions should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct light, which can give them a bitter taste. They should not be stored near potatoes, which give off moisture and a gas that causes onions to spoil more quickly.
Important thing to know about Onion:
- Scallions – often called spring or green onions – contain even more vitamin C than white or yellow onions. The green kinds are also high in folate, which is one of the essential nutrients. The small onions called shallots are very rich in vitamin A.
- Raw onions contain higher amounts of the disease-fighting chemicals, but cooked onions are also healthful.
- To maintain good health, try to eat the equivalent of ½ to 1 cup of chopped onions every day.
- The smaller the onions, the more pungent they are. They are the ones that makes you teary eyed when you cut them
- To prevent tears when cutting onions, chill the onions for about an hour before peeling.
- To prevent oxidization, cut onions should be stored in an air-tight container. Use within one or two days.
Side Effects of Onion: Onion breath. Eating a sprig of parsley with your meal can help prevent bad breath that’s associated with eating onion.
“This post was originally published on January 9, 2012 @22:16”