Mustard greens are pleasantly sharp and appetizing vegetable related to the cabbage family. It compare favorably with other green, leafy vegetables in their nutritive content, this is the reason why it is one of the favorite vegetable in many countries around the world.
All young, tender leaves of mustard is best used as salad leaves, while the older, tender leaves were used as cooked greens. To use their sharp flavor raw in salads, mix small leaves with other greens to balance their sharp flavor.
Health Benefits of Mustard Leaves:
- Contain nicotinic acid which is a preventive and cure for pellagra.
- Help prevent cancer in organ and glands lined with epithelial tissue due to its high vitamin A content.
- Useful in ridding off poisonous substances in the system.
- Valuable to pregnant women and for nursing mothers
- Beneficial as a counter-irritant or as an ingredient in liniments.
- Beneficial for kidney and bladder ailments
- Helpful in cases of bronchitis (inflammation of the bronchial tube).
- An alkaline food, which makes it a good blood cleanser.
Nutrient Content of Mustard Leaves: per 100 gm.
- Vitamin A: 6,460 I.U.
- Vitamin B: Thiamine .09 mg.;
- Riboflavin: .20 mg.
- Niacin: .8 mg.
- Vitamin C: 102 mg.
- Iron: 2.9 gm.
- Phosphorus: 38 mg.
- Potassium: 500 mg.
- Fat: .3 gm.
- Carbohydrates: 4 gm.
- Protein: 2.3 gm.
- Calories: 22
Mustard Varieties: Many including the very bitter Chinese mustard.
Availability: All year round but they are at their peak in February – April. Mustard greens are sold in supermarkets either fresh or frozen.
Buying and Storage tips:
- Look for dark green leaves that are crisp and fresh. Avoid those that are wilted and yellowing.
- Store them unwashed, wrapped in a damp paper towel placed in a perforated plastic bag in the refrigerator. Fresh mustard greens will keep for up to a week.
How to Prepare Mustard Leaves:
- Wash mustard leaves thoroughly by putting it on a colander and washing it under running water. Then cut or tear into bite-sized pieces.
- Because mustard leaves has sharp flavor it should be combined with other leafy vegetables.
“This post was originally published on January 9, 2012 @22:33”