Botanical Name: Cucumis sativus
Cucumber belongs to the same family as pumpkin, watermelon, zucchini, and squash. It is cylindrical in shape with lengths of approximately 6 to 9 inches. It is being used for different purpose as it can be eaten raw or cooked.
Health Benefits of Cucumber:
- Cucumber is one of the best natural diuretic; it can therefore help remove chemical toxins and waste material in the body.
- Cucumber helps the body maintain normal blood pressure level and help the nerves and muscles to function properly.
- Cucumber is a digestive aid because it contains erepsin, the enzyme that helps to digest protein.
- Eating two small cucumbers a day (with skin) can help cure chronic constipation.
- Cucumber helps in regulating the body’s blood pH, neutralizing acidity.
- Cucumber contains silicon and sulphur which is known to promote the growth of hair.
- Regular consumption of cucumber can help add glow to your skin and help decrease the appearance of blemishes.
- Cucumber help relieve Puffy eyes. To reduce puffiness, lie down and put two slices of cucumber on the eyes for ten minutes.
- Cucumber juice when made as facial mask can help lighten dark spots on your face.
- Cucumber juice with carrot juice is said to be very beneficial for arthritis and gout which is cause by excessive uric acid in the body.
- Cucumber juice is valuable for helping diseases of the teeth and gums, especially in cases of pyorrhea.
- Cucumber help reduce internal temperature on warm days.
Nutrient Content of Cucumber: Per 10 gm.
- Vitamin A: 180 I.U.
- Vitamin B: Thiamine .02 mg.; Riboflavin .04 mg.; Niacin trace
- Vitamin C: 9 mg.
- Calcium: 32 mg.
- Iron: 1.8 mg.
- Phosphorus: 27 mg.
- Potassium: 80 mg.
- Fat: .2gm
- Carbohydrates: 17gm.
- Protein: .9mg.
- Calories: 70
- Dosakai is a cucumber that is yellow in color and has a round shape. It is available in many parts of India.
- English cucumber is a very small in size, around 2-4 inches long. It is the variety that is used for pickling.
- Mediterranean cucumber has a smooth skin, nearly seedless flesh, it has a mild taste.
- Japanese cucumber is a dark green cucumber with a bumpy skin. It is mainly used for slicing, salads and juicing.
Buying Tip: Buy cucumber that is firm, fresh, bright, well shaped, and of good medium or dark green color. The flesh should be firm and the seeds immature. Avoid withered or yellowish cucumber because they indicate old stock and state of de-hydration. Thinner cucumbers have fewer seeds than those that are thicker.
Storage Tip: Keep cucumbers cool or it will be soggy. Either keep it refrigerated or keep it away from direct sunlight.
Preparation Tip: Buy organic as cucumbers may be waxed or have pesticides. If non-organic, wash cucumber under cold running water and scrub gently with a vegetable brush. It might help also to soak it for 5-10 minutes with 1-2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar.
“This post was originally published on January 8, 2012 @22:25”