Cayenne is a condiment made from red bell pepper. Capsaicin is the active component in Cayenne, it is a substance that is responsible for the intense heat produced by the fruit. Generally, the hotter the pepper, the more capsaicin it contains.
Nutrient Content of Cayenne: Vitamin A, C and E; it is also a good source of dietary fiber.
Health Benefits of Cayenne:
- Helps to “clean out” the arteries and reverse the effects of atherosclerosis by improving the blood circulation.
- Helps increase blood circulation within seconds after ingesting it.
- When used externally, as a rub it can help relieve painful joints. The hot sensation produced by cayenne help stimulate blood flow to the area.
- When taken internally, it soothes the digestive tract and stimulates the flow of stomach secretions which help digest food.
- Can inhibit the growth of the bacteria H. pylori, which is the common cause of stomach ulcers. It can also help control bleeding of the stomach ulcers..
- Good remedy for constipation since it stimulates peristalsis and improves digestion. It is suggested that cayenne be used at every meal or when needed for constipation.
- May help speeds up metabolism and may aid in weight loss because it aids in the burning of fat for energy.
- Has been used in traditional medicine for the treatment of sore throats, upper respiratory tract infections, sinusitis and fevers. When you first feel a cold is coming, drink a cup of tea immediately.
- Helps to bring down blood sugar levels.
- Helps to diminish nausea.
- An excellent food preserver and has been used traditionally to prevent food contamination from bacteria.
How to Make Cayenne Tea: An infusion of tea would be made by combining one cup of hot water with ½ to 1 teaspoonful of cayenne powder. Drink this three times per day.
Topical Cream: Topical capsicum creams should be used 3-4 times per day until the pain subsides.
Varieties: The typical color for cayenne is red. However, there are other capsicum varieties that vary in color from yellow to green to purple to orange.
Side Effects of Cayenne: It has blood-thinning properties, so if you taking blood-thinning medication talk to your doctor immediately.