Glutathione is one of the most talked about beauty supplement now in Asia, Women who wants to make their skin whiter, and younger looking wants to try Glutathione supplement. Some people who are health conscious are skeptical about this new food supplement, since this is a rather a new term for them.
What is Glutathione: Glutathione is made from 3 non-essential amino acid (cysteine, glycine, and glutamic acid). This amino acid is found in the cell of nearly all living organism on earth, and its primary job is waste disposal.
Glutathione is a potent anti-oxidant. It binds to toxin in the liver, the body’s primary cleansing organ, and allows them to be flushed efficiently.
Those people who have heart disease, or have a high LDL (bad cholesterol) cholesterol level should raise their glutathione levels.
- It is important to know that Glutathione is too big a molecule to digest, so we can’t take it as supplements! We can just therefore take cysteine, one of the major component of Glutathione.
- Glutathione passes the waste product it accumulate to antioxidants like Vitamin E, C, A and Minerals like Selenium, Copper, Zinc to do the cleanup work, therefore deficiency from this antioxidants can impair the work of Glutathione.
- To raise your glutathione levels you should take supplements like cysteine, Vitamin E, C, beta-carotene and selenium.
Factors that can deplete Glutathione level in the body:
- Glutathione level in the body drop as we age.
- Chronic Disease (cancer, immune problems)
- Overload of rancid oils.
- Exposure to poison like pesticide
- Birth control pills and hormone replacement therapy
- Stressful lifestyle
- Exposure to pollution
- Taking pharmaceutical drug like aspirin
Food Sources of Glutathione: Avocado, Broccoli, Egg (eat few times a week), Onion, Garlic, Yogurt, Wheat germ, Red meats