Graying of hair is a natural part of the aging process, there is nothing you can do to prevent graying hair, but you can avoid premature graying with good nutrition and regular scalp massage and by avoiding hair abuse and stress.
- Hair is mostly made up of proteins. In protein there is a substance called melanin, it is responsible for the color of hair.
- Melanin in black or dark hair is the same as that in blonde hair. It is the amount of melanin present that accounts for the different colors of hair.
- There is more melanin in dark than lightly colored hair. As a person age the amount of melanin present in hair diminishes. When there is no melanin, the hair becomes white.
Causes of Premature Graying of Hair: Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause graying of hair, as can a deficiency of vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid). Premature graying can also be caused by diseases such as celiac disease, thyroid disease, diabetes, pernicious anemia, and other autoimmune disease.
Preventing Graying of Hair:
- Omega-3 fatty acids can help slow the effect of the graying of hair. This nutrient is absorbed directly by the hair, or through taking supplements. Shampoo with emu oil is said to prevent and reverse graying of hair.
- Eating eggs regularly can also help prevent premature graying of hair, because egg contains all the important protein that the hair needs.
- Eating nuts especially cashew nuts is beneficial in preventing premature graying of hair.
- It is recommended that you take multivitamin like: bee pollen in addition to taking multi-minerals and proteins.
- Drinking full cream milk everyday can also help prevent or reduce premature graying of hair.
To darken gray hair:
How to make a Sage rinse: Put 2 Tablespoons of sage in ½ liter boiling water, let the mixture cool and then drain through a colander. Rinse hair with this mixture and you will notice that the hair will darken little by little. It is helpful if you add a little rosemary to sage rinse.
To add shine to hair:
To make hair shine, make a similar mixture as above; replace the sage with petals of chamomile flowers.
It is advisable to massage your hair with virgin coconut oil or aloe vera gel after washing it with shampoo. VCO and aloe vera gel is very good in nourishing and revitalizing your hair.
Other Recommended supplements to reverse gray hair:
- Fo-ti 2 tablets per day, 1 with each meal
- Chinese Lycium
- Fish Oil – rich in omega-3 which is beneficial in preventing premature graying of hair.
- PABA – Para – aminobenzoic acid helps to maintain color and to keep hair soft.
“This post was originally published on April 27, 2012 @ 13:39”