Barley grass powder is made from the dried young leaves of the barley plant. It is usually harvested about 200 days after germination, when the shoots are less than a foot tall. At the early stage of its growth, the barley plant is closer in composition to vegetables than grains, hence the name barley grass.
As the plant grow, the nutrient content of young cereal grasses change rapidly. The nutrient concentration – vitamins, minerals, enzymes, amino acids, chlorophyll – deteriorate significantly.
Barley grass powder, like most types of vegetable powders, is very easily digested by the body, thus allowing the body to use its nutrients within a matter of minutes. It also has very strong alkalizing effects on the body.
Nutrient Content of Barley Grass: Barley grass is said to have 30 times more vitamin B1 and 11 times the amount of calcium than there is in cow’s milk, 6.5 times as much carotene and nearly 5 times the iron content of spinach, close to seven times the vitamin C in oranges, four times the vitamin B1 in whole wheat flour, and 80 micrograms of vitamin B12 per 100 grams of dried barley plant juice. Barley grass has about 45 percent protein.
Health Benefits of Barley Grass Powder:
- Barley grass helps to purify the liver.
- Barley grass chlorophyll washes drug deposits from the body.
- Barley grass helps in the treatment of asthma.
- Barley grass helps to combat blood clots.
- Barley grass helps to combat cancer.
- Barley grass helps reduce low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (the ‘bad’ cholesterol) levels.
- Barley grass help against diabetes; it also helps to delay or prevent blood vessel damage which could be caused by diabetes.
- Barley grass is an energy booster.
- Barley grass helps cure skin diseases and ulcers by promoting the growth of new cells.
- Barley grass is a rich source of both soluble and insoluble fiber. Insoluble fiber aids in proper excretion of waste products in the body, while soluble fiber (known as beta glucan) mixes with liquid, binds to fatty substances and allows them to be excreted from the body.
Recommended Dosage: Barley grass is widely available in powder or pill form and is best taken on an empty stomach, 30 minutes before or two hours after a meal. A daily dose of 1-2tsp mix in water or your favorite juice is beneficial for daily cleansing. For those who want to spend even less time getting their essential nutrients; simply take barley grass capsules or tablets with a glass of water. Hypersensitive people should introduce Barley Grass gradually. There are no known toxic effects to consuming barley grass.